Working hours: 21 hours per week (equivalent of 3 days a week)
Starting salary: £24,000 (pro rata) + benefits
Free Tibet is seeking a new Media Officer in a part-time, temporary, role with the possibility of extension. We are looking for someone who can start in January and help boost the profile of a new campaign against Google’s project Dragonfly. Another key focus of work will be the 60th anniversary of the national uprising in Tibet.
Media is a vital component of Free Tibet’s strategy. It plays a direct role in one of our key aims – increasing public awareness of Tibet and the ongoing human rights violations occurring under the Chinese occupation. Good quality media coverage also helps to drive campaign responses, supporter recruitment and political pressure. This is a key role within the team and we are looking for someone who can rise to the challenge.
The successful candidate will have experience of media work in a campaigning or NGO context and the skills to pitch both news and feature articles to local, national and international media outlets. You will have excellent writing skills and the ability to create content for different audiences, finding new and interesting ways of presenting campaigns as well as factual information about Tibet. You will also recognise the importance of protecting the privacy of individuals and information sources and be comfortable dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
The Media Officer's primary tasks will include:
- Identifying opportunities to provide news, commentary and feature content to the media (including news and other information from Tibet sourced by Tibet Watch).
- Producing media content, including press releases, opinion pieces, feature articles and statements.
- Building and maintaining good relationships with journalists and other stakeholders.
- Maintaining and updating the media contacts database.
- Managing the distribution and pitching of content, including selling-in stories where appropriate.
- Monitoring and developing media coverage of Free Tibet’s work.
- Monitoring and evaluating media coverage of Tibet and Tibet-related issues in general, identifying any useful trends.
- Managing media enquiries and interview requests arising from press releases and other communications.
How to apply: Return your completed application form by email to email@example.com or by post to: Free Tibet, 28 Charles Square, London N1 6HT.
The deadline for applications is 10am on Monday 17 December 2018. Shortlisting will take place on Monday 17 December and interviews will be held on Thursday 20 December.
Volunteering Opportunity: Fundraising Volunteer
Free Tibet is seeking a Fundraising Volunteer to help manage our supporter database and merchandise fulfilment. Previous fundraising or database experience is desirable but not essential. We are looking for someone who can commit to a minimum of two days a week (over a 3 month period), who is able to work independently and who has keen attention to detail. The Fundraising Volunteer will form an essential part of the fundraising team, assisting in the inputting and selection of data from our supporter database and other related duties. The volunteer will also be involved with supporting merchandise fulfilment for the Free Tibet online shop. There will be opportunities to get involved in other areas of fundraising (e.g. dealing with supporter queries, drafting copy, research and events) and this role will provide a valuable insight into the running of a small not-for-profit organisation.
The Volunteer’s primary tasks will include:
- Database administration: Inputting new donations, subscriptions, memberships, returned mail, cancellations and change of details onto the database.
- Supporter services: Assisting the fundraising team by responding to supporter queries; preparing Welcome Packs for new supporters and sending correspondence to members and supporters regarding Direct Debits, memberships, donations and any other relevant mail.
- Merchandise: Fulfilling merchandise orders; processing orders on the ‘Shopify’ online store; and assisting with stock checking.
- General administrative support: Our volunteers may be required to perform general administrative tasks relevant to the smooth running of the office.
- Other: There may be opportunities to draft copy for the website, magazine and catalogue; assisting the Fundraising Officer with merchandise purchasing and marketing; involvement in meetings and Free Tibet events.
Please email your CV and cover letter (maximum one page) explaining why you would like to volunteer with us to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31st 2018.
We are looking for somebody who is available to volunteer two days per week for a minimum period of three months. Free Tibet will provide a stipend of £8.50 per day.
We are seeking new Board members
Free Tibet is a London-based non-profit, non-governmental organisation that campaigns for Tibetans' right to freedom. We mobilise active support for the Tibetan cause, champion human rights and tell the world about China's on-going occupation. We are entirely funded by our supporters.
We are seeking experienced individuals to join our board (Executive Committee). As a member of the board you will help shape Free Tibet's strategy, policies and future development. In addition you will contribute meaningfully to the board's legal and management responsibilities which include ensuring our financial sustainability and providing oversight and support of our Chief Executive in running the campaign and organisation.
The board is seeking dedicated individuals with expertise in the areas of fundraising, campaigning and media who are prepared to contribute their time and talent in support of Free Tibet and the wider campaign for Tibetan rights and freedom.
The board meets a minimum of four evenings per year in London, as well as communicating and making decisions via email when required. Applicants should be prepared to assume occasional additional duties to help the campaign and its future development. Membership of the board is a voluntary position, without expenses.
How to apply: please email a cover letter and CV to email@example.com